How will Indian farmers income will get doubled by 2022?
Govt. of India has set a target to double the income of farmers by 2022.
Since 2/3rd of the land-holdings in India is marginal. Since land-holdings are not very large so even by increasing the yield per hectare won’t double the income.
So, it is not possible to double the income by relying on the cultivation of conventional crops.
Slowly & gradually the farmers need to move towards:
– livestock rearing,
– shifting to making value-additions in the produce & selling it directly
– shifting from farming to non-farm activities
– moving towards high-value crops
– better irrigation to double the productivity
– For regions of Maharashtra especially Vidarbha focus should be on growing low-water crops instead of cotton
– Technology upgradation
– limiting the role of middlemen in trade of agricultural produce through measures like NAM
With Great Love,
Er. Amit Yadav