How to prepare yourself for the demographic disaster?
There are very high chances that India is going to miss its demographic dividend in near future. The main reasons being :
~ Skill : only 2% of the population is skilled. We need skilled human resource to reap the benefits of demographic dividend.
~ Health : around 50% of the population is malnutritioned.
~ Agriculture & allied sector: more than 50% of workforce is in agriculture & allied sector which is becoming unprofitable in India’s scenario. Young people are willing to take up any opportunity besides in agriculture. So, sharp influx of people from agriculture & allied sector to other sectors of the economy.
~ Jobless growth : the growth rate that you come across when you tune to TV is jobless. That is, economy is growing at a faster rate but not significant number of jobs are being created. Govts push to manufacturing sector to create labour-intensive jobs (Make in India), Skill India & Digital India, and initiatives to export labour in gulf countries is an indication to this. So, employment crisis is REAL. Jobless growth is a REALITY.
What is needed?
Structural reforms are needed in all sectors of the economy. It will take a long time.
– Two-third of the people above poverty line slip into poverty after facing one major health emergency. So, affordable health care is a necessity.
– Young entrepreneurs are needed in large numbers. To grow young into entrepreneurs, a shift in education policy is required.
– Providing social infrastructure for human resources development & using technology to empower common people to utilise them to cope up with future challenges.
No quick-fix will work.
– when over 80% of the population is dissatisfied, it topples the government. So, it may lead to a rebellion/unstable governments at the central level.
– extreme competition for petty-jobs & not-so-good opportunities.
– increase in crime rates, theft, murder, etc. & rise of notoriety in the society in the form of anti-social elements
What you should do?
Work/study/learn/acquire knowledge & skills/re-skill yourself 24*7.
There is no time to rest, if you want to be on the safer side in near future.
With Great Love,
Er. Amit Yadav